Our everyday life has become so strained that we forget to focus on our own growth. In the beginning, it feels as if we are running along with the pace of this world, but lately we realise that we don't have enough energy to keep the same pace going and then start feeling left behind.
The urge to attend every social gathering in fear of missing something important leaves us exhausted, and as a result this low energy feeling prolongs so much that we start avoiding such situations and sit at home doing nothing at all, for hours or sometimes even waste a whole day. And in the end, when we think about our past few weeks (or months), then we realise that as a person, we have been doing nothing, not growing at all!
Yes, we rise up early in the morning, do our morning chores, go to office, do the same thing five days a week with just a slight variation than the previous day, wait for the weekend, have some fun on weekend and then same thing repeats again and again and again.
But we need to ask ourselves every now-n-then, "Am I growing? Am I learning? If not, Where are things lacking? Am I conscious about where my life is heading?"
Thinking about all these things I came to the following two conclusions:
- We need to have a balanced energy flow within ourselves and around us as well.
- With the right energy flux, we have to give direction to this energy, so that we can grow as a person.
So how do we put these two things together and workout a way forward?
Here are a few things I came up with and I myself have been practising for past few weeks, and has helped me feel more balanced about my inner self and outer world as well :-
- Meditate - Do it daily. I know nobody has got the time to sit idle for few minutes everyday doing nothing, when you have got so many things to do. Well, if you don't have much time, just take out five minutes (maybe in the morning or after you come back to home after your day), sit with your eyes closed, plug into some calm ambient music and concentrate on your breath. Doing this small chore daily will make you feel more calm and "in control" of things around you. Tried and Tested!
- Exercise - Umm.. This is something we have never got time for, right? But remember, when the body is ill, everything else in your life becomes secondary. Choose an exercise schedule which suits the best for you and follow it regularly. Taking care of your body is not an option, it's a necessity.
- Eat at least one seasonal fruit daily.
- Take care of your digestive system. What you eat is what you become!
Now with the right energy flowing this is how you can progress a little bit daily :-
- Read a book - Make it a target to read at least one book per month.
- Make a list of what you always wanted to learn (playing guitar, drawing, sketching, dancing, whatever!). Now pick one amongst them and start giving it at least 4 hours a week (Not a big deal, no?) and in a few months, you'll feel the pace building up. Much better than doing nothing!
- Keep 2 hours a week exclusive for yourself when you sit, relax and do nothing! Just lay down, think and daydream (I do it on Sundays!). This is a good way of keeping yourself close to you, your dreams and your conscious.
- And not to forget, hang out with your friends, share your little progress with them and don't forget to have fun!
All these things are not going to change things miraculously, but surely it will give you the initial kick and help you progress as a person, little by little!
"When we are facing the right direction, all we have to do is keep walking."